Friday, May 31, 2013

Just think what five minutes of your time could mean to someone...

In case I failed to mention it, Wayne is coaching the girls in softball this year and I am team mom. There is honestly no better feeling then getting close to these 13 girls and watching them grow through the game. Tonight was a hard game, it was hot, the team was a pretty tough team, and the girls were all dealing with emotions of some sort! I guess the heat messed with them or something but one girl in particular found herself very upset. The girls weren't throwing the ball to her on the base, instead they would run the ball to the base to try to get the other player out. This little girl took this action very personal, she felt that the other players didn't like her and that they thought she wasn't a good player. 

It breaks my heart for these young girls to be so negative with their own self. I can't think why she would ever think so many bad things about herself just because the ball was not getting thrown to her. I pulled her to the side and explained that during the game the only thought on the other players mind is to get the runner out and a lot of times they just run the ball to tag the player instead of throwing it, that it had nothing to do with her at all. I explained that the girls love her. I told her how she is only a rookie this year yet we see so much potential in her that we chose to put her on a base whereas most rookies have to play in out field. I decided to take the conversation and make sure she was able to use it in life period not just on the field. 

I went on to explain to her how it's very important to not worry about what other people think about you because as long as you are doing things that make you happy and that are good things to do then that's all that matters. I told her how beautiful, funny, and smart she is and that talent like hers is hard to find. I felt that it was important to tell her these things because maybe she never hears it. It's our job as women to make sure the women of the future understand their worth. It doesn't matter if they are our children or not it only matters that every little girl understands that she is special and she is not in competition with anyone in life. It's our responsibility to create a future of strong women who believe in themselves enough to not have to search for love or comfort in the wrong areas. They deserve to know how beautiful and talented they all are and it doesn't change just because someone says it's not true. 

I make sure my girls know everyday how special, smart, and beautiful they are. I just wish others would take five minutes to do the same. Just five minutes to say "babygirl you are beautiful, I'm proud of who you are and everything that you do, I love you"   You can't imagine the difference it makes in the life of a little girl. 





No comments:

Post a Comment